Monday, December 18, 2017

Jackrabbit


While out on a hike in the desert recently, I came across a jackrabbit. This happens occasionally, but they always see me first and run away. That's disappointing. This jackrabbit was different. He wasn't delighted to see me for sure, but he didn't run far.



He loped away slowly and only a short distance before looking back to see what I was all about.


Jackrabbits are hares in the rabbit family.

According to Wikipedia, the word jackrabbit came into popularity by a Mark Twain book calling them jackass rabbits. It was a reference to the hare's large ears, like those of the donkey. It was later shortened to just jackrabbit.

With those ears, I suspect he heard me coming a mile away.

(Click any picture to enlarge.)


This guy... I'll call him a guy, was reluctant to leave this spot. The ground was covered with thousands of rabbit beans, so I know he and maybe some of his friends had spent considerable time here. He would hop to an edge of this circular space, then, if I followed, he would double back.



This went on for hundreds of pictures... till we both got tired.

Yes, it is not a brightly feathered bird this time. Instead it's a long eared furry creature I found in my search for a bird.

Pardon my diversion or lack of focus, but I thought you would enjoy this hike in the desert as much as I did.

Allan

Credits: 
Wikipedia
National Geographic

No comments:

Post a Comment