Thursday, December 28, 2017

Harris' Hawk


This Harris' Hawk gave me a quizzical glance as he flew overhead.




I can't know what he was thinking, but the normally social Harris' Hawk flew TOWARDS me rather than away, so I doubt he was truly upset with my presence.





Families of Harris' Hawks travel and hunt together. They are desert dwellers. Living mostly on small mammals, they've achieved success as team hunters.

One Harris' will flush an animal while others chase it down. The food is shared in a loosely hierarchal manner.

 




Manmade structures like cell towers and utility poles provide ideal hunting platforms. These common and convenient perches contribute to our enjoyment of the Harris' Hawk, too.



It's a safe and stable platform in which to preen and survey the landscape.

(Click any picture to enlarge.)



But, the high voltage lines also threaten large birds.

With a wingspan of slightly under four feet, when departing these perches, touching two wires at the same time is instant death.

Utility companies wisely cover dangerous perches with insulating covers.





This juvenile appears to be scolding me, but he's not.

He's squealing a harsh skeeei, skeeei, skeeei sound in a 360 degree direction. He was either hungry or lonely, I couldn't tell.

Whichever, I was allowed to watch from below as three Harris' Hawks rested on three adjacent utility poles along W. Linda Vista Blvd., Oro Valley, Arizona.

Allan

Credits:
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, All About Birds
The Sibley's Guide to Birds




No comments:

Post a Comment