Thursday, November 21, 2019

Cooper's Hawk Portraits

The neighborhood Cooper's Hawk lands on our railing twenty feet out our patio door. 

S/he visits several times a day in hopes of scoring a meal. 

I haven't witnessed any carnage lately, (i.e. feathers), so to be in good health, he must be eating regularly some place else.




A breeze from the Big Wash ruffles his young feathers.

I stand half inside the doorway. He certainly sees me. I'm not advancing, but he's not leaving either. I am close enough for portraits.

He turns his head in robotic start/stop motions, taking in every sight and sound. His head reacts to every shutter click. He's that close. He's not fazed.



He gave me a few exciting minutes. He even dropped to the ground and came back to the same spot on the railing.

But then he glides down into the wash and is gone.

I like to think he was tail-waving me good-bye here, though I could be wrong.

(Click any picture to enlarge)

Allan

6 comments:

  1. We are gonna be in Tucson in February. Where could a tourist best view this wildlife?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was mooning you in that last picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Thank you. I now have a FOLLOW button on my Feather Tailed Stories blog. Click it and you will be notified whenever I post. Allan

      Delete
  3. MEH_PDX Tucson is a big city... 50 miles across. Your best bet would to pick a hotspot from this website... http://tucsonaudubon.org/go-birding/visiting-southeast-arizona/where-to-bird-in-southeast-arizona/tucson-birding-trail-map/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed every one of your Cooper's Hawk blogs; amazing photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I now have a FOLLOW button on my Feather Tailed Stories blog. Click it and you will be notified whenever I post. Allan

    ReplyDelete