Friday, April 19, 2019

Bobcat (non-bird story)

Being 'surprised' by a bobcat is a good thing.

I was looking for birds at the Sweetwater Wetlands in Tucson, Arizona, when this strikingly beautiful bobcat strolled out of the weeds.

I had heard of a bobcat that roamed the wetlands, but I had not had the pleasure of meeting her.

Bobcats are at least twice the size of a typical house cat... 13-30 pounds.

This one showed no fear of humans and allowed me to follow her around. I knew she wasn't bothered because she even walked towards me at times. With casual glances, she always knew where I was.

That was being gracious for an animal and wildly unlike the hundreds of birds I so desperately wish to get near.

A riffle of fur outlines the face to give bobcats a unique look.

They get their name from the short wisp of a tail which, oddly and barely, serves a purpose anymore.

(The following two photographs are for those people who enjoy identifying animals by scat left behind. If you wish to skip such information, stop here.)

Allan
(click any picture to enlarge)






I can tell you with 100% accuracy this is bobcat scat.



No comments:

Post a Comment