Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Peregrine Falcon (revisited)



I was happy to find a Peregrine Falcon at home when I visited the Port Washington Generating Station recently. I believe this is Ives, an adult male living part time at the generating station and also at the University of Wisconsin Campus in Milwaukee.

He is wearing a violet or purple band on his right leg, so I believe it should be Ives. I gleaned that information from the WE Energies website: http://weenergiesraptors.blogspot.com/
I watched him for a half an hour as he stretched, scratched and sunned himself on the railing. Then he flew to a nest box. 

I’m positive I heard excited calls coming from the box when he entered, but I never saw another bird or nestling.  The nest box was off to my left, so I might have missed a quick altercation or a greeting.  I saw a Peregrine Falcon’s head showing over the nest box, but I couldn’t be sure if it was Ives’ head once again.

WE Energies has nest cameras recording the activities of Peregrine Falcons at several of their generating stations around the upper Midwest.  The Port Washington Generating Station’s camera is showing little activity to date, according to the website: http://www.we-energies.com/environmental/protect_wildlife.htm, but it’s worth monitoring if you care to see what might happen.

Allan 

No comments:

Post a Comment