Friday, August 3, 2012

Grey Catbird



Related to mockingbirds and thrashers the Grey Catbird is almost colorless in comparison. They do have a reddish patch under their tail, but it is hard to see in the wild.  For what they lack in color, they make up for in song, performance, and stature. 























I have to make an assumption here.  Because Grey Catbirds look alike, I am not sure this is a male. The normal bird protocol is for the male to display to the female…the female chooses. 








This one certainly looks to be displaying, but I didn’t see a female nearby.  Maybe he was just rehearsing his performance in case she showed up?











All puffed and fluffy, stretched-out and singing, he looked to be looking for some female attention.  The display went on for minutes and then he flew off.  I don’t know if he found what he was looking for, but I enjoyed his performance.

Allan
May 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment